Breakfast is such an important meal and it should be our largest meal of the day. Unfortunately for most people this means a drive through stop, a donut or some other unhealthy items that are full of too much fat and too many bad carbohydrates. Anything that is fried or full of sugar should be banished from your breakfast table. A hearty breakfast of healthy foods can keep your hunger at bay throughout the day because your body does not feel the need to catch up for missed calories and nutrition. So whatever you do, do not skip breakfast either. Here are some ideas for a breakfast that is not only healthy, but easy to prepare too:
• Make oatmeal, preferably steel cut oats or Scottish oatmeal; add flax seed meal, blueberries or raspberries, and almonds. This is a breakfast full of power foods that can be made in just a short amount of time. For an extra boost sprinkle with cinnamon which is believed to help regulate blood sugar and a touch of honey.
• If you have to have breakfast cereals choose a low sugar, high fiber option. Add berries for antioxidant power or bananas for potassium.
• A healthier alternative to scrambled eggs is scrambled tofu. Scramble with olive oil; add in a little soy sauce, onions and green peppers. Serve with whole grain toast and you have a delicious well rounded breakfast in no time.
• If you are a die hard egg lover try using just the whites. Add some peppers, onions and maybe a little broccoli or other veggies. Top with black pepper and serve with high fiber toast.
• Fruit salad is delicious and will give you a jump start on your fruit servings for the day. Cut up apples, bananas, pears, melon, grapes and berries. You can use any fruits you like and then try it with a squeeze of lemon or lime juice.
• Try a grapefruit with some sugar on it, but not too much. Pair this with whole wheat toast and almond butter. Almond butter is a healthier alternative to peanut butter and is full of protein.