If you are one of the many drivers who regularly speed then maybe it is time for you to slow down a little. There are many reasons why slowing down when you drive is a good idea. You may just be constantly frustrated as you drive and your daily commute is causing you a great deal of stress. Slowing down may be a step towards being a happier person and here are some more good reasons to lay off the accelerator:
• You will save gas. Constantly driving over the speed limit saps your gas. Gas mileage drops considerably for every mph you go over 65. Gas prices are so high these days that speeding is a luxury most of us cannot really afford.
• It can save your life. In addition it can also save someone else’s life because at 35 mph your are twice as likely to kill someone you hit than if you were going 30 mph. Driving faster also gives you less time to react in traffic. Seconds can make the difference between life and death in many situations. Slow down even more around schools, runners and bicyclists.
• Driving above the speed limit does not save you very much time. It can only save you about 5-10 minutes on a 100 mile trip. This is not worth the increased risk associated with driving above the speed limit. If you are consistently running late then leave a few minutes earlier.
• Driving can be a relaxing experience. When you slow down driving can be relaxing and can even be an enjoyable experience. Your road rage will disappear because you will no longer care if other drivers are going to fast or cutting you off.
• Life becomes simpler. You no longer have to worry as much about accidents or speeding tickets. The money you save on gas will be a stress reliever too.
When you slow down you can make your driving a more pleasurable experience. Try listening to relaxing music and ignore the other drivers. Use your time in the car to brainstorm and come up with ideas for work or make goals for yourself. One important point is to keep to the right so that other faster drivers can easily get around you. The most important thing to remember is to relax and enjoy the ride.