Negative self talk can do a great deal of damage to your self esteem. Words can shape our thoughts and help determine our actions. This means that there are words that you should eliminate from your vocabulary so that you can remain upbeat and positive. Taking these words out of your vocabulary can really change how you feel and your outlook.
• Try. This word should be replaced with “will”. When you say you will try to do something it rarely gets done.
• If. This word conjures up a great deal of doubt and uncertainty. Using it too often it can erode your self confidence. This word can also keep you from your intentions.
• Won’t. The word won’t will close the door on your actions. This word implies an unwillingness to act and also that your mind is closed. Using the word “won’t” will harm your self growth.
• Never and Always. There are very few times that these words are actually true. These words are absolute and also indicate closed mindedness. You should replace these terms with non-absolutes that are more realistic and less limiting.
• Someday. This word shows a serious lack of commitment. It is too indefinite and should be replaced with a definite time and date.
• Maybe. Use maybe only occasionally. It is too indefinite and should be replaced with definite statements such as “I will” or “I won’t”.
• Should. This is one of those words that imply guilt. Saying I should get this done implies that you should feel guilty about not doing something. If you are not going to do something say “I choose not to do it”.
• But. But takes away from everything said before it in a sentence. An example is: “I want to go to law school, but it will be hard work”. Use the word and instead.