Comparing ourselves to others is something we do frequently. We often judge our own abilities in relation to how they compare to others. This is a recipe for a drop in our self esteem. It is not at all useful either. You have to look at your true value as a person; standing on your own not up against someone else. Usually when people compare themselves to others they end up comparing the other person’s strengths with their own weaknesses. This is not an accurate comparison at all. In the end it does not matter either way. You need to be happy with you; not you compared to someone else. There are ways to stop doing this.
• You have to gain an awareness of the situation. Many people compare themselves to others unconsciously, but you need to make yourself aware of the behavior as soon as you start to do it.
• Make yourself stop. Once you realize that you are doing this you have to make yourself change focus. Do not beat yourself up; just change the subject in your mind.
• Focus on the things that you have in your life to be thankful for. Think about all of the things that make you a lucky person. Do not spend time dwelling on what you do not have.
• Think about your strengths. Take the focus off of your weaknesses and celebrate the things that you do well. Be proud of yourself and work towards your goals using these strengths.
• Acknowledge that you will always have imperfections and learn to be alright with it. There is no one in this world that is perfect, yet we seem to let our imperfections cause us a great deal of stress. Striving to improve is a great way to spend your time; striving for perfection will only drive your crazy.