Boredom creeps up in all of our lives from time to time. It can cause us to stray from our tasks and lose countless productive hours. There are ways to combat it though and get back moving in the right direction.
• Embrace your boredom for a few minutes. Instead of letting your mind wander off onto pointless thoughts or activities, just sit and let the boredom stew. Sit in silence and instead of taking negative action, choose to take no action. You will begin to act again eventually with a new awareness.
• Surround yourself with active and productive people. When we are constantly around people who are doing boring, meaningless activities it is easy to get sucked in. Take stock of with whom you spend your time. There are a great many people out there who spend their days on beneficial and meaningful activities. Do your best to surround yourself with these people.
• Take a break from reading and do some writing. Many people use reading to escape a boring situation, and this is great. It is certainly better than video games or television, but take a break from the reading sometimes and do some writing. Writing keeps you from using reading as a crutch to escape the real world. Keep a journal or tap into those creative juices and try your hand at some fiction.
• Get crazy. Boredom is a symptom of our over scheduled lives. Everyday does not have to be planned down to the minute. Once a week do something completely irrational to break up your routine. As long as you are not hurting anyone this can only make you a more spontaneous and creative person.
• Go outside and play. There is noting boring about a trip to the playground with the kids or a walk through the woods. Get out and really look around because there is so much in the world that we take for granted.